Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Breakfast Rice with Fruit

It just so happened that while I had Not Your Mother's Casseroles from the library I ran out of oatmeal (the typical breakfast for my daughter and me). Needing to try something else for breakfast turned out to be quite a pleasant happening because this Breakfast Rice is now part of our breakfast rotation. The dish turns out creamy, filling and comforting.
The original recipe recommends using short grain brown rice. All I have is long grain but by increasing the cooking time (as noted in the recipe) it is no longer an issue. I've used dried cranberries and dried apples and enjoyed both versions. With the dried apples I also added cinnamon, which I find is always a pleasing combination.

Breakfast Rice with Fruit
 Print Recipe
Yields: 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup dried fruit
1 tsp cinnamon (if using apples)
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups water
1 cup milk
2 T butter
1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions:
   1.  Preheat oven to 375.
   2.  In a 2 qt baking dish stir together rice, fruit and salt.
   3.  In a medium saucepan bring water and milk to a boil. Pour over the rice.
   4.  Cover baking dish with a lid or tinfoil; bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.
   5.  Remove dish from oven; sprinkle brown sugar over top, stir to combine. let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
   -This also reheats well. I like to warm it up and then stir a splash of milk in.
Adapted from Not Your Mother's Casseroles.

This is linked to URS.

No comments:

Post a Comment