Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mom's Chili

My mom's chili has been a family favorite (especially with my brother) for years. She often makes it when we go home and she had it waiting for my husband and I when we came home from the hospital after our daughter was born so Mom's chili definitely has lots of good memories associated with it.
It's really quite easy to put this Chili together. It benefits from a long simmer time so, if need be, you can make it early in the day and let it simmer all day. Growing up, we always had Club crackers with our chili so that's how I eat mine. My husband has adopted the Club cracker technique but also adds olives to his. To each his own!

Mom's Chili
 Print Recipe
Yields: ~10 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger (not pictured)
2 medium onions, chopped
4 cans tomatoes
4 can kidney beans (drained, reserve juice)
3 T chili powder
2 T flour (not pictured)

Directions:
   1.  Fry hamburger until no longer pink; drain fat.
   2.  In a large pot combine meat, chopped onions, tomatoes (with juice), and kidney bean juice.
   3.  In a small bowl mix chili powder and flour with water until it makes a watery paste. Add to pot.
   4.  Simmer for at least 1 hour. Thirty minutes before serving add beans.
   * This recipe freezes well.
This is linked to URS and Finding Joy in My Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment