Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Foreshadowing

I started off with a "learning" recipe but then basically ended up with a meal: a (could be) appetizer, soup, bread and dessert. I guess technically I'm missing a protein/main dish but I could eat these four dishes and consider it a meal, albeit a slightly random meal. :)
  • Cooking Dried Beans from Money Saving Mom: I tried once to cook dried beans and it did not end well. I was making baked beans and it ended up really dry. I want to try again though.
  • Pizzadillas from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes: How fun does this look! Easy, different but familiar. It could be easily adapted to your favorite kind of pizza as well.
  • Cheeseburger Soup from Newlyweds: What is it about taking a dish and changing it into soup form that always sounds so intriguing?
  • Wheat Oatmeal Quick Bread from Finding Joy in My Kitchen: The latest addition to my list of breads to try.
  • Cranberry Crunch Bark from Christmas Your Way: I'm not really a huge fan of nuts nonetheless I really want to try this recipe.
This is linked to Friday Favorites.

4 comments:

  1. Nice list. I think both the soup and the Pizzadillas could be considered a main dish. I think that all the bases are covered. There are veggies in the soup. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking dried beans gets easier the more you do it. That's pretty much the only way we buy beans now - in big bags of dried. I usually just soak them overnight, and then put them in the slow cooker in the morning. Or I'll do a big batch at the beginning of the week, save out what we'll use for the first few days, and freeze the rest. They freeze just fine cooked. The only thing I haven't quite mastered is the ratio of dried beans to canned beans in recipes, because it varies with the different kinds of beans. I usually do about 2/3 cup dried for every can though. But they don't smell the greatest when you cook them. Burn a candle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bark looks great - my mom makes a similar one with orange zest. I bet you can eliminate the almonds and up the rice krispies. We often do that at our place.

    Jenna's soup looks yummy -- very different than the cheeseburger soup that made my list this week.

    enjoy the bread & thanks for sharing your finds with us, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pizzadillas are the best! You have to try them!! :)

    Off to check out the cheeseburger soup!

    ReplyDelete